Sunday, January 08, 2006

Katherine: A Portrait of Despair

Will Katherine be coming to Portland? It does not look that way. She prefers to suffer in New England with no explanation as to why she chooses to do so. There is nothing keeping her there, she is not tied down by work, school or family obligations. She has been there since 1998 and not a moment has gone by when she hasn't talked about how miserable she has been. I don't know what Katherine would think of Portland or even Oregon in general. But it seems to me that if you are in a place that makes you miserable then anyplace would have the potential to be better than your current space.

Like myself, Katherine is an artist. And as many people have speculated, an artist needs a certain amount of misery in life to inspire them to create their art. Maybe she felt that this was the case for her. But Katherine has not been doing art for some time now. She is so deep into her misery that she does not do much of anything other than simply exist.

On many occasions I have offered to assist Katherine to relocating out to Portland to see if a change of scenery would help. As you can see, she has not taken me up on this offer. It is mind boggling to me because there have been many times in my life when I have felt the same way as Katherine. The difference is that I took action, I took control of my own destiny and wasn't afraid to accept change and as a result I have avoided being stuck in the proverbial rut.

Katherine, it's time for some change. Don't fear the unknown, embrace it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The worst case scenario is that you'd leave New England and come to Portland and be miserable here. And in that case you'd not be a loser, you'd just break even.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Royalty Free Images