Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Fine Art of Relocation: The Short Con vs. The Long Con

I keep getting advice from people who have no experience in long distance relocations and it is starting to drive me nuts. Without going into too much detail, Mr. Viddy has lived in California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Georgia and Florida. And my next move will be taking me to New Mexico. I have a lot of miles under my belt so planning a move to a new city is nothing new to me yet friends and family members keep offering up advice that I just don't need.

The majority of people that I know have pretty much stuck around the same area they grew up in, with the exception of perhaps having gone someplace for college. I understand that my friends and family are trying to be helpful but they act like this is the first time I have ever moved in my life. Considering some of my past relocations, going from Oregon to New Mexico is a rather short trip down south.

Yes, I know how to pack, plan the trip route, arrange for lodging and food along the way and how to secure temporary lodging once I arrive. I am also familiar with scouting out neighborhoods and schools once I am there. I have been pouring over various demographic information, classifieds, craigslist and other sources of information so that I can begin to develop a plan on how to proceed once I get to New Mexico.

I have no worries on my part, I have made plans and contingencies for those things which I can control and as for unforeseen problems, well you just have to go with the flow if they occur. I am not going to stress out over something that may or may not happen.

4 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why on earth would you consider moving to a city that is infested by crack cocaine, heroine and human beings that drink mouthwash on Sundays because they do not sell liqueur until noon?

"Albacracky" (the word was coined by Jim Rome) is notorious for an infestation of underachievers and those running from felonious charges from places like Detroit and Chicago.

If you do have children that are still in school you MUST put them in private schoo.l Principals, teachers and administrators are notorious for getting arrested for drug and or alcohol charges. Ever wonder why your favorite link www.dukecityfix.com utilizes the word FIX?

 
At 2/10/2006 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let the truth be told. New Mexico has the best SMACK in the US of A. When I used... Albuquerque was always a great place to get my FIX!

 
At 2/10/2006 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are a low income homosexual Albuquerque is the place for you.

 
At 2/14/2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Mr. Viddy said...

True enough, Albuquerque might very well be the Compton or South Central of New Mexico.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Royalty Free Images