Thursday, March 16, 2006

You Know You're Getting Old When...

You know your getting old when you get an email from an old Army buddy and you realize that you served together 20 years ago. Ouch, I'm not even 40 yet but I have adult memories from 20 years ago. Damn, time flies.

I have three groups of Army buddies. The first group is the three guys who went through infantry, airborne and ranger training with me and then we served together with the 1st Ranger Battalion, they are my best friends from the Army. The second group consists of a few buddies whom I met as a Ranger and after we finished our tours of duty there we all ended up in Hawaii with the 25th Infantry Division (Tropic Lightning). And the final group are the guys I served with in the Golden Dragons, 1/14th Infantry Battalion.

The email I got tonight was from a guy from the last group. It's always good to hear from a former Army buddy, it brings back fond memories. Not that all my memories of the military are fond but this time it was. Still, it does make a guy feel a little old when you can look back twenty years and realize you were already out there in the grown up world.

I'll just have to dye the gray out of my hair tomorrow, find a young girlfriend and go buy a convertible.

Fuck that. I'm looking forward to being an old codger.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Royalty Free Images