Thursday, May 04, 2006

Albuquerque Coffee Critique

I am a simple man with simple tastes. When it comes to caffeine my drinks of choice are Earl Grey tea by Stash and quad espressos.

I've been living in Albuquerque for just over a month now and have frequented five coffee slingers and will now give you a brief critique on each of them. Keep in mind, the only drink that I have ordered at each of these locations has been the quad espresso.

From best to worst:

  1. Starbucks Coffee - 3400 Central Avenue SE This is a classic Starbucks, just like the type found back in Portland and Seattle. They make a mean quad espresso, the baristas have just the right amount of attitude and the outdoor patio makes for good people watching.
  2. Satellite Coffee - 2300 Central Avenue SE Quite chic, a bit pretentious but the baristas here are very nice and the espressos are made just right. Nice outdoor patio but the location opens you up to be pestered by street people looking for money or just muttering to themselves.
  3. Starbucks Coffee - Market Place at Journal Center To date this is the gayest Starbucks I have come across since leaving Portland but this location also makes an excellent quad espresso and after all, that is what really matters.
  4. Satellite Coffee - 3513 Central Avenue NE The espressos here are merely adequate and the clientele are a bit full of themselves. The baristas tend to lack any personality. The big draw here is the comfy chairs in the back.
  5. Starbucks Coffee - I-40 & San Mateo Located at The Pavillions at San Mateo, this Starbucks makes pure swill. This has been the most god awful coffee I have tasted in all of Albuquerque. Additionally, the interior is not the cleanest. The local gas stations are cleaner and have better coffee than this Starbucks. I won't be going back.
So there you have it, my opinion on the local coffee scene to date. No doubt that there are many other places that serve excellent coffee and as I discover them I will add them to my list.

Tagged For: * *

2 Comments:

At 5/04/2006 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starbuck's is the best coffee in town? Hmmm...ominous. You need to try out some of the smaller locals, like RB Winnings, Blue Dragon, etc., and let us know how they stack up.

 
At 5/04/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger Mr. Viddy said...

Phil, I am certainly going to do that. My excuse at the moment is that I am still becoming familiar with the area so I have gone to the more obvious coffee hacks.

As I sample some of the smaller joints I will definitely give my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Royalty Free Images